Friday, April 4, 2014

Fabulous Finds Friday--April 4, 2014


Check out these new finds with our Fabulous Finds Friday linky!



The Curriculum Corner 

http://www.thecurriculumcorner.com/ 

As a teacher nowadays, whenever I need to find something I go right to Google and search, which is what I assume every teacher does! How did teachers look for things before Google? Anyways, I can't remember what I was looking for at the time, but I came across the The Curriculum CornerThis was such a great find! It was created by 2 educators that have made great resources tied to Common Core, but also lessons, printables, and other resources that can be used K-8. We have used their Measurement Book, which my students loved, as well as assessments and activities with prefixes. These two ladies have made their resources free (what teacher doesn't love that word :), and I highly recommend checking it out!

Reading Rockets 

http://www.readingrockets.org/

Another site that I found, and love, is Reading Rockets.  This site has great lessons and resources, as well as videos of authors to share with students. We will be focusing on poetry this month, and this site has videos from poets such as Jack Prelutsky, Mary Ann Hoberman, and Janet Wong. Also included are lessons using poetry to teach rhythm and rhyme (and 2nd grade CC standard :), as well as writing poetry. Fly on over and check it out!

 
Poetry for Two Voices

I wanted to beef up my collection of poetry books for two voices, so I search and found a couple of fabulous collections.

http://www.amazon.com/Messing-Around-Monkey-Bars-School/dp/0763631744/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396574169&sr=8-4&keywords=poetry+for+two+voices+for+kids

Messing Around on the Monkey Bars and Other School Poems for Two Voices by Betsy Franco is perfect! Love this collection of poems related to many aspects of school with creativity and humor.  Can't wait for my kids to enjoy this one!  Link on the cover to learn more... A must for any poetry collection!
http://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Bees-Butterflies-More-Voices/dp/0805092110

Perfect for this time of year---Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More: Poems for Two Voices by Carole Gerber is a gem as well.  Beautifully illustrated! 

Some Oldies with New Access


Many moons ago (about 18 years now), I purchased a collection of National Geographic Really Wild Animals VHS tapes. Yes--VHS!! Well, I have not really used them much in the past few years because of the format. Until a couple of weeks ago, I never thought of checking to see if the episodes were available for streaming on amazon.  Silly me!  I was pleasantly surprised to find my whole collection (and some others) for $1.99 an episode! If you have never heard of/seen any of these episodes, you will love them just as much as the kids do. They are chocked full of fun and information! The music videos are hilarious--AND they are narrated by the late Dudley Moore, as Spin.  Take a look!

We would love for you to link up your Fabulous Finds! Just grab our log to use in your post and link up below.  Click here to learn more about our Fabulous Finds Friday linky!

 

Enjoy your Friday, and have a splendid weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I love poems for two voices. Thank you for sharing these new titles. I'm off to check them out!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete